Property and Finances

Lasting Powers of Attorney

If someone has the mental capacity to manage their own finances they can choose to appoint someone to manage their money in the future if they lose capacity by making a lasting power of attorney.

If someone lacks mental capacity – and they do not have either an enduring or lasting power of attorney in place – then it may be necessary for someone to be appointed by the Court of Protection to act as their “deputy”.

At Ridley & Hall we have a specialist Court of Protection team to help you to identify the most suitable course of action for your loved one. For more information please visit our Court of Protection Legal Centre.

We can advise you on:-

  • What information the court will require if you make an application to act as a deputy for someone who lacks mental capacity.
  • The documents you will need to complete when making an application – we can help to fill in the forms if you would like.
  • Your responsibilities if the court appoints you as a deputy.
  • Why the Mental Capacity Act 2005 and its Code of Practice is important and what deputies need to know about them.
  • Making gifts when you are a deputy.
  • The deputy’s inherent duty to maximise their client’s income.

Free Enquiry